Neurosurgical Videos on YouTube
- 1Department of Neurosurgery, Santa Casa de Belo Horizonte, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
- 2Associação de Combate ao Câncer em Goiás, Goiás, GO, Brazil
- 3Department of Neurosurgery, Medicine and Life Sciences Education, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- 4Hospital Estadual Getúlio Vargas, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
- 5Department of Neurosurgery, Universidade de São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Introduction Videos can become valuable teaching tools and YouTube is a useful tool to disseminate information. It was created in February, 2005; since then, there has been a rapid expansion of YouTube videos on several subjects. Neurosurgery is not an exception in this trend, and several channels on the topic are available at the YouTube website.
Methods We analyzed many articles related to the theme in several medicine specialties. In this study, we balance the pros and cons of this new technology, to foster a discussion of these changes, as well as to explain how to create and get the most from it. We also list some interesting channels and their features as examples and suggestions.
Results YouTube should be the main platform for supporting instructional videos, although it is important to be cautious at this time, as the platform still lacks good quality videos.
Conclusion This technology could turn into a very important tool for learning and teaching neurosurgery. Educational institutions should guide an effort for better quality videos and broader content coverage, which could also achieve superior training at no cost.